Applications are being accepted for the fall semester of Gastonia Police Department's Citizens Academy, which is scheduled to begin on Tuesday, September 5, 2023. The Citizens Academy focuses on Gastonia Police operations. Law enforcement is a profession that is continually changing and evolving, and the academy enables citizens to experience conditions similar to those that police officers go through in their training and on the job.
Participants meet from 6 to 8:30 p.m. one night a week for 8 weeks, with this year’s academy running through October 24, 2023. Training topics include segments on the department’s:
- K-9 unit
- SWAT Team
- Identification Bureau (crime scene investigations)
- Patrol Officer techniques
- Crime Prevention programs
- and many other components of the police department.
In addition, participants are expected to ride along with a police officer for at least two hours during the program.
Academy participants must be at least 18 years of age or older, and be subject to a background check. There is no fee for the academy – just a commitment to attend all the classes. Six of the eight classes must be completed to be eligible for graduation. Space is limited to 20 participants.
Applications are being accepted until the class is full or the deadline date of August 25, 2023.
If using the printable application, fill out the form and print it. Then deliver:
- By mail to Officer Caleb Price, Gastonia Police Department, P.O. Box 1748, Gastonia, NC, 28053
- In person to the Gastonia Police Department at 200 E. Long Ave., Gastonia
For more information, call Officer Caleb Price at 704-842-5117.