Thank you for your interest in the Adopt-A-City Street Program, you are joining other community groups, businesses, and individuals to help reduce litter in Gastonia, making a major contribution towards the city’s overall appearance. Through the Adopt-A-Street program, caring citizens can take part in the effort to maintain a healthy environment, improve Gastonia aesthetically, and show pride in our beautiful city.
Who Can Adopt A Street?
Litter-ally Everyone! – Individuals, family and friends, community and youth groups, businesses, schools, churches, and other organizations.
Did you know?
• Litter clean-up costs the U.S. more than 11.5 billion each year!
• Trash blowing out of truck beds and tipped roll out bins cause a large percent of litter in our neighborhoods.
• Litter decreases property values, diminishes community appearance and promotes even more litter.
• Even food waste has a cost. It attracts rodents to the side of the road. The rodents then attract raptors like hawks and owls. The raptors are then hit by cars.
The purpose of the Adopt-a-Street Program is to:
• Encourage community residents and organizations to adopt residential blocks of streets and keep them litter-free
• Tangibly demonstrate civic pride in your community
• Contribute to a cleaner and healthier environment
• Contribute to our overall economic development of our city
• Serve as an impressive reminder to the public not to litter the roadways or ignore our environment
As an Adopt-A-Street volunteer, Keep Gastonia Beautiful will provide:
One custom sign along their adopted route.
Trash bags, scale to weigh trash, gloves, grabbers and safety vests for use by the adopting participants.
Removal of “orange” trash bags from adopted street sections as necessary.
Not ready to adopt a street but interested in doing a neighborhood or community cleanup? Fill out this pre-cleanp registration form to let us know so we can provide cleanup supplies for your event!
Click here to see what areas are available to be adopted.