The Gastonia Fire Department offers an extensive benefits package including:
- 401-K Plan
- State Retirement
- Supplemental Insurance
- NC Firefighters' & Rescue System
- Separation allowance
- Health & Dental Coverage
- Life Insurance
- Tuition Assitance
- Paid Holidays, Sick Leave, Vacation
- Annual Christmas Bonus
Do you have what it takes to be a Gastonia Firefighter?
- Ability to perform strenous work under emergency conditions.
- Ability to learn principles and techniques of fire suppression.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative relationships with coworkers and the public.
If you think you have what it takes, click here for application information.
In order for your application to be complete the following criteria must be met by the applicant:
- Must be 18 years of age with a High School Diploma or Accredited GED at the time of being hired.
- Applicant must have a valid appropriate drivers license.
- Applicants must complete three different exams as part of the National Career Readiness Certificate. The three exams are: Workplace Documents, Graphic Literacy, and Applied Math. You must score a minimum of a Silver Level.
For more information on the National Career Readiness Certificate click here, or contact the following personnel from Gaston College:
If you currenlty have an Associates Degree or higher you are NOT required to complete the National Career Readiness Certificate.
After your application criteria is met and your application is processed, you will be scheduled a time for our Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT). Look below for information on the CPAT test.
Have a tattoo? Click here to read our tattoo policy BEFORE applying.
Applicants with questions concerning out-of-state certifications please read the following:
The State of North Carolina accepts the following International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) Certifications: Firefighter, Instructor, Haz Mat, Driver Ops, Emergency Vehicle Driver, Fire Officer, Technical Rescuer, Fire Life Safety Educator, Marine Shipboard Firefighter, and Airport Firefighter.
The State of North Carolina also accepts the following National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications (Pro Board) Certifications: Firefighter, Instructor, Fire Life Safety Educator and Fire Officer.
If you have any question, please contact the North Carolina Office of State Fire Marshal by clicking here.
Any applicant with an Emergency Medical Certification (EMT), would need to apply for their North Carolina EMT Certification through the North Carolina Office of EMS. That can be done by clicking here.
Please click here for the online application.
For questions about the process, call Assistant Chief Matt Young at 704-869-1932.
For questions about applications, contact City of Gastonia Human Resources at:
181 S South Street
Gastonia, North Carolina
Click here for the official CPAT manual. for the CPAT orientation video